Rapaport News




Advanced search
Latest Articles
Rough Markets
Polished Markets

Pandemic Boosting Demand for Secondhand Luxury

Market for pre-owned watches and jewelry growing 8% per year, according to Boston Consulting Group.
Oct 12, 2020 10:20 AM   By Rapaport News
Print Print Facebook Facebook Twitter Twitter Share Share

 The global market for secondhand hard-luxury goods is benefiting from emerging consumer trends that have intensified during Covid-19, according to Boston Consulting Group (BCG). The category is growing by 8% per year, the management firm said in a recent report.

Rising online sales, changing consumer preferences and increased concerns about sustainability are driving demand for the category, especially among younger consumers, BCG explained. Watches account for some 75% of the EUR 21 billion ($24.8 billion) market, with jewelry making up the remaining 25%.

“These trends were already well underway before the Covid-19 outbreak hit, but the pandemic — and the economic slowdown it created — has accelerated them,” the company said.

Financial uncertainty caused by the crisis has prompted consumers to consider acquiring pre-owned items as an investment, the group added. Prices are more attractive than for new goods, and the jewelry or watches do not immediately lose value on purchase, it noted.

Image: A jewelry store window. (Shutterstock)
Tags: BCG, Boston Consulting Group, COVID-19, Jewelry, pandemic, Pre-Owned, Rapaport News, secondhand, Secondhand Luxury, sustainability, watches
Similar Articles
Luk Fook store MixC World in Shenzhen BayLuk Fook Eyes China Expansion
Nov 26, 2020
Hong Kong-based Luk Fook will accelerate its expansion in mainland...
Diwali Sales Shine as ‘Bored’ Consumers Return
Jewelers ‘Failing to Prevent Rights Abuses’
Comments: (0)  Add comment Add Comment
Arrange Comments Last to First

Call Us: 1-702-893-9400
Member License Agreement   RapNet Trading Rules & Code of Conduct    Privacy Policy  
twitter twitter
About Rapaport
Advertise with us