Rapaport News



Rapaport Broadcast
Martin Rapaport Addresses Israel Diamond Week
February 12 2020

Advanced search
Latest Articles
Rough Markets
Polished Markets

Alrosa Unearths 191ct. Rough Diamond

Miner finds stone at its Botuobinskaya pipe in Yakutia.
Dec 29, 2019 10:07 AM   By Rapaport News
Print Print Facebook Facebook Twitter Twitter Share Share

RAPAPORT... Alrosa has recovered a rough stone weighing 190.77 carats from its Botuobinskaya pipe in the Siberian republic of Yakutia.

The company has estimated the white, high-quality diamond is approximately 2 billion years old. It plans to send it to the company’s United Selling Organization for a more detailed evaluation, the miner said last week.

“The discovery of such a large and high-quality diamond in terms of its primary characteristics on the eve of the New Year’s holiday is a real gift,” said Alrosa deputy general director Evgeny Agureev.

The stone is not the first special diamond Alrosa’s Nyurba mining division, which operates the Botuobinskaya and Nyurbinskaya deposits, has recovered this year. In October, the miner found the “matryoshka” diamond, a stone featuring one freely moving diamond encased inside another, similar to a traditional Russian nesting doll.

Additionally, Alrosa has finalized a joint-venture agreement with Zimbabwe Consolidated Diamond Company (ZCDC) for prospecting and exploration projects in Zimbabwe. The agreement gives Alrosa 70% ownership in any projects, while ZCDC will hold the remaining 30%.

Image: The 190.77-carat diamond. (Alrosa)
Tags: Alrosa, Botuobinskaya pipe, Evgeny Agureev, matryoshka, Nyurba mining division, Nyurbinskaya, Rapaport News, United Selling Organization, ZCDC, Zimbabwe Consolidated Diamond Company
Similar Articles
De Beers rough and polishedDe Beers Optimistic After 2019 Earnings Slump
Feb 20, 2020
De Beers gave a positive outlook for 2020 due to an improvement in the...
Rio Tinto’s Canada Deal Hits Trouble
Lucapa Closing In On Diamond Source
Comments: (0)  Add comment Add Comment
Arrange Comments Last to First

Call Us: 1-702-893-9400
Member License Agreement   RapNet Trading Rules & Code of Conduct    Privacy Policy  
twitter twitter
About Rapaport
Advertise with us