Rapaport News




Advanced search
Latest Articles
Rough Markets
Polished Markets

910ct. Lesotho Diamond Sells for $40M

Samir Gems buys historic stone at Antwerp tender.
Mar 13, 2018 6:25 AM   By Rapaport News
Print Print Facebook Facebook Twitter Twitter Share Share

RAPAPORT... Gem Diamonds has sold the Lesotho Legend, the 910-carat stone it unearthed at its Letšeng mine in January, for $40 million, the company said Tuesday.

The miner claims the D color, type IIa stone — which it sold at tender in Antwerp to Samir Gems — is the fifth-largest gem-quality diamond ever recovered.

“We are delighted with the outcome of the sale of this iconic diamond, which demonstrates the exceptional quality of the Lesotho Legend itself, as well as reaffirming the unique quality of the Letšeng diamond production,” said Clifford Elphick, CEO of Gem Diamonds.

A rise in Gem Diamonds’ recovery of large stones in 2017 drove a 12% sales increase and a 14% jump in the average price per carat for the year. So far this year, the miner has found six stones above 100 carats at the asset in Lesotho.

Gem Diamonds owns a 70% stake in the Letšeng mine, with the Lesotho government owning the remaining 30%.
Tags: 910ct. Diamond, Clifford Elphick, Gem Diamonds, Graff Diamonds, Lesedi La Rona, Lesotho Legend, Lesotho Promise, Letšeng, miner, Rapaport News
Similar Articles
Williamson processing plant mine PetraPetra Launches Probe into Violence Claims
Nov 12, 2020
Petra Diamonds is investigating allegations that security guards at its Williamson...
Alrosa Gives Cautious 2021 Production Outlook
De Beers to Stop Production at Botswana Mine
Comments: (0)  Add comment Add Comment
Arrange Comments Last to First

Call Us: 1-702-893-9400
Member License Agreement   RapNet Trading Rules & Code of Conduct    Privacy Policy  
twitter twitter
About Rapaport
Advertise with us